Thursday, October 27, 2011

August 17

So it was just over two months ago I learned I was going to Kenya. It was Aug 17. It was also the day I knew I wasn't going to Amsterdam as well.

You see, I love love love love love traveling, and I have a very difficult time staying in a single place for very long. I mean I'm okay with living in the same location, but if you think I'm sticking around on the weekends you're naive. Sorry for being rude, but this is how I am. Now I must say, OCCASIONALLY I do like sticking around just to change things up a bit, but I'm always going!

So for booking my next vacation, I was going to go to Europe the end of the year, but that fell through. So my next option was Thanksgiving. Yes, I do realize that I am a little selfish and crazy for considering the idea of leaving the country over a holiday that is deemed "family time" when I already live 8 hours from home. But I'm sick like that. Without further explanation, I start looking for tickets to Amsterdam. I've ALWAYS wanted to go. Okay not always, but at least since college.

So here it is, Tuesday night, Aug 16, 2011, flights found, credit card number punched in, and I couldn't do it. I don't know why exactly, I just couldn't do it. I didn't really feel wrong about it, but I didn't feel right either. I just felt like God was watching me from around the corner of the other room, just waiting to see what I would do. And well I didn't do it. I wanted to, but I just couldn't. Like if I waited, maybe there were better options.

So the next night was Dave's birthday party up at the Conner's house. I proceed to tell Tracey all about this and even wanted to just look it up and book the ticket at her place, but it just wasn't really convenient. So I was a little torn. Like if I went it'd be okay, but at this point still felt like I just shouldn't be going perhaps. So as I'm driving home, I begin to pray. I just ask God what it is He wants of me. Knowing I should have consulted Him about where I should spend my vacation from the beginning was already a clue, but you and I both know it's easy to not consult Him, do what you want, and have faith He'll protect you, than it is to ask for His will to be done. I know we've all been there.

So this time, I wanted to do it right. And I ask Him if it is His will to go to The Netherlands. I said, "God, you know I really want to go there, but if its not where you want me to be, then I don't want to go. I want to be edifying to you. And if I can't be edifying in Amsterdam, then I'd rather not go. I mean I would like to say, 'Sure, I can talk to people and maybe be a witness and use this trip for you', but you and I both know that's probably not going to happen. So wherever you want me to go. If I'm just supposed to go back home, then fine. If I'm supposed to go to Africa, then amazing! But I just want my vacation to be edifying to you."

Well I get home, and I check my email before I go to bed. And every Wednesday I get an email on the Top 20 Travel Deals of the Week. And low and behold what did they have? Well they had awesome airfare deals to Kenya!

.:: Kenya's Calling::.

1 comment:

  1. you've been blogging! i am still amazed at this whole 'thing' ... i'm so in awe that u were able to sit back and wait, and listen, and absolutely TRUST.

    i'm excited for u! and for the kids u'll be sharing the Light of Christ with !!!!

    ReplyDelete