Friday, November 25, 2011

The Great Rift Safari

Wednesday, we left early and headed towards Narok, the Masai land. This is West of Nairobi. As we got out of the city and on the open road, the roads were much smoother (they're TERRIBLE in Nairobi). After some time, we hit the Great Rift Valley.  Oh. My. Gosh!!! I mean, I knew I was looking forward to it, but I didn't know I was looking forward to THAT!

I guess to really illustrate what I was looking at, you need to understand what it is to be in Kenya; looking up at the same sky I was.
Do this exercise with me.

[Close your eyes. Take yourself to an open field. Set this field on top of a mountain. But there are no trees. Just miles and miles of open plains. Envision the clear robin's egg blue sky with whisps of flawless white clouds.
Breath in.
You just breathed in crisp fresh air. The kind that makes your lungs tingle.The kind that's beginning to be warmed by the morning sun, half risen in the sky.
Standing in the spot your in, slowly turn yourself in a circle. You are looking up to realize your seeing half the globe from the single place. You look down, and see this.]

Now that. Is the Great Rift Valley experience.

Of course I took some pictures, then we began our journey down into and through the Valley. I saw Kijabe- the largest missionary station in the world. I saw an old Catholic church that was built by Italian slaves. I saw kilometers upon kilometers of acaisa trees. Then I spotted giraffes! Now this I had to stop the van for! Woot! Woot! Wild Giraffes!

From the top of the valley to the bottom, you could see Mt. Margaret which was given to teh British princess for her birthday. She didn't do anything to it though like the community hoped. And also saw Mt. L.
We went through Maai Mahui and other villages to eventually arrive in Narok, at the Seasons Hotel.

This was quite a journey, but I had seed nothing yet.

.::Kenya's Calling::.

No comments:

Post a Comment