Monday, November 21, 2011

Working in Nairobi...

So I guess I have a little more time to write a little meatier blog post. I'm doing this in the midst of writing my Business Plan Presentation. Ha. Yes. I'm writing a presentation or a class to help women understand how they can easily create their own small business and make it viable so they may begin to generate an income.
I will then be putting together a couple other presentations for specific topics of discussion.


I will also be working with 2 different age groups of children. The younger kids, and the older kids. I have a couple of games and little songs planned to teach them, but I'm not sure of that scedule et. On Saturady I will be parcipating in the Kids Club in Kibera. Then after Kids Club in the Penpal's Club.


I'm very excited!! I'll be taking photographs of the children for the sponsorship packages they put together. This way the kids can have sponsors and go to school!


Here is my itinerary if you want to follow along:
Kibera- Today
Katisaa- Tues
Osegea- Wed
Olototo- Wed
Ilkerin- Thurs
Ololii- Thurs
Fri- Kibera (women)
Sat- Kibera (children)


Woot Woot!


But I guess you're all wondering what I've been doing so far..


I arrived Sat night to a wonderful welcoming comittee! This is where I met Arnie, Walter, Samson and Alex! I had already met Marilyn because she came searching for me in the airport! This is how the scenario went...


I'm off the plane and filling out my paperwork to apply for my visa to enter the country. As I am almost finished, a little white haired lady peaks her head from behind me to my left and says, "Excuse me, my name is Marilyn. I am looking for a girl named Brittany!"


I smiled and said, "Marilyn, you just found her!" and I gave her a big hug :)


Sunday was a leisure day for us. Since Marilyn and Arnie do not drive here, they get rides to everywhere they go. Their adopted Kenyan son, Shadrack (cool name, right?) was out of town this past weekend, so they did not have a ride to church. So we had a nice time catching up on sleep, enjoying a nice breakfast, and spending the rest of the morning getting to know each other some more and telling wonderful stories, between Kenya, other mission trips and just back home.


We went out for lunch then to the Java House in Nairobi and hit up the market place, "The Junction" after. Once we had all the groceries we needed we spent time in the afternoon at Mayfield. Mayfield is like a compound where people can come and stay. Usually missionaries stay there, but other travelers are welcome also. They do your laundry, serve meals at certain times, have a small library and other nice features.


There we visited with Dave and Mary Ellen--other fellow missionaries who've spent many many years in Kenya just as the Newmans.


Later we went home and had dinner and spent the evening talking some more. This is when Marilyn shared the story of her calling to Kenya and the vision God gave her that began the Hope Centers and Special Ministries. It is absolutely remarkable what God did for her and the miracles He made happen.


I am so excited and thankful to be a part of this ministry here and beign able to share just a fraction of my time with them! You know God has confirmed me being here twice already just by the supplies brought and items donated. What was brought was exactly what the people needed. Marilyn told me this on Sunday when we went through my bags.


Then again this morning when showing the staff here at Special Ministries, Samson said, "Did someone give you the list?"
I said, "What list?"
He said, "When we visited the Hope Centers this week, they told us what they were needing, and you just brought all of it to us!"
I said, "No, I had no idea, I never saw that list."
He said, "It's just divine confirmation."


So I know this is just the beginning. I know God is going to speak through me the rest of this week! Keep praying please!


Not sure when I'll update next, but I hope to really bring some more to this soon.


.::Kenya's Calling::.

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, I've got the chills as I read your last couple paragraphs about the items that were laid on your heart to take with you. How AWESOME is our GOD. I know you ain't seen nothing yet. I witnessed God do amazing things when I was on my short-term missions trip. I'm so excited for you and can't wait for your next post. Praying and praying some more. Mary Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously SOBBED with tears of JOY as I read your post! "The list ..." how absolutely amazing! Our God is such a God of tiny itty bitty details. Absolutely amazing. Praying for you daily Britt! Praying that His Kingdom is spread further, and that He continues His work, as is promised in the Word, to bringing you closer to Him, and closer to that which you were created to be. Praying your heart and spirit and mind are ready and open!

    LOVE YA!!

    ReplyDelete